Doing Homework With Music On – 5 Handy Tips
This short article gives you five handy tips on doing homework with music on. While doing so, it explains why parents and teachers have discouraged students to listen to their favorite songs during homework time. The good news is that it is a very good idea to listen to music while doing your assignments. The main reason is given below along with how this privilege should be managed.
What not to listen to
In the past, both parents and teachers have correctly advised against doing homework with loud music on. Here’s your first tip;
- The musical genres that you may prefer and are used to – hip-hop, rock, heavy metal, etc. – are not conducive to good work practice at home. It does not allow you to concentrate properly and consequently diminishes all or most of your required thinking skills. But you can compromise. In fact, this may very well help you to perform much better at your desk.
Study earlier in the day
The next handy tip is a warning. Here’s why;
- Mainly due to circumstances that cannot always be helped, many students are still studying late at night, with or without their favorite tunes. Firstly, students need to make a huge effort to learn and practice working earlier in the day, even a couple of hours in the morning before leaving for school. At this time, the mind is at its most alert. The obverse of this is felt late at night. Where listening to music is concerned, listening to the genres mentioned above (but at a soft volume) while working late at night could help but will not be effective and ideal for everyone.
The next three suggestions have to do with ideal genres. An anecdotal explanation (based on experience) is given next to each definition;
- Jazz – It serves as an ideal compromise between listening to hard, loud, lyric-infused music and unfamiliar classical music.
- Classical – Not only does this genre relax you while working it also acts as good mental stimulation.
- White noise – regarding its effectiveness as background ‘noise’ this is most effective in helping you to relax completely.
This short guide has given you great and useful suggestions on the advantages of listening to music while doing assignments at home and how you should apply your mind to the required techniques.